Saturday, 4 February 2012

Weekly Skin Care Regime

Recently, I've been trying to find a skin regime that really works for me. I've tried a lot of variaton of things in the past, but this is the combination I've found to work pretty well over a period of time.




My skin gets oily in places and dry in others, so it's very much typical combination skin, commonly found in young people. It can be really difficult to get the balance right when you have combination skin as it can become too dry or too oily if you apply products to counter each problem, so the best option is to buy products specially for combination skin.

Every three days or so, I use an exfoliating wash. I find doing it more frequently than that can dry out my skin, so at least a two day gap before using it again, unless it is made for daily usage.

 Now I have basic Superdrug daily exfoliating wash, it's anti bacterial and deep pore cleansing. It's basic and it does what it says on the tin, really, although I personally wouldn't use it daily as it can be a little harsh. I found it works just as well as some of the more expensive products. It's also very cheap.

If I'm not exfoliating then I'll use the normal wash version of this to clean the skin, remove makeup etc. Sometimes I use Simple wipes for that, but they don't last as long as a wash does. I have to do this to remove my stubborn gel eyeliner, but if you wear light make-up or no makeup, you can move onto the cleanser step instead.

Next the best thing to do is cleanse and tone the skin. Cleanser removes dirt, oil, light make-up. It is basically soap for the face (I'd never recommend using bar soap on your face, it clogs pores because of the agent used to make it thicker and solid.)

Toner is used to clean the face but more exclusively, it is meant to shrink the appearance of pores in the skin, making skin look smoother. If you have previously had acne or a bad skin condition which has caused your pores to be big/wide, toner will help close them up. As well as this, less dirt/oil can get in the pores in this way so that spots become less common.

In the past I've used these products seperately, I used to use Simple toner and while it made my skin feel tighter, it also made it really shiny which didn't help my oily area around the nose. So I recently purchased Nivea Visage Daily Essentials 2 in 1 cleanser and toner, which actually really helped my problem, the cleanser seems to have some sort of moisturising product in it which stops the toner drying it out and making it weirdly shiny, and it also cuts out another step which is always useful. Again, it's another cheap product that provides good value for money and works as expected.

Finally, there are two products I'd recommend for moisturing but it really depends on your age. There are a billion different moisturisers out there so if you can try a few and find one that works for you, that's great. I previously tried the basic Simple moisturiser, and while I normally like Simple products, it didn't work well for me, it just sat on top of the skin and did nothing.

If you put Nivea Creme on at night, and a tiny bit in the morning, your face will be fine for the rest of the day. It's a really cheap and basic moisturiser (you can tell I'm not a believer in expensive products) but it works a treat. It does feel quite sticky and gloopy, so I wouldn't recommend you use a lot in the morning as it's hard to put make up on over it, but at night it's perfect for when you wake up.

If you are older and want a day time cream, Nivea Natural Beauty Radiance Boosting Moisturiser is a decent product. It does smell perfumed which I dislike in make-up, but when you put it on it has a really subtle shimmer effect that looks really nice for day time use.

I use nose pore strips monthly to remove dirt and black heads. If you have dry skin, don't do this as pore strips tend to dry out the skin, but because my nose is often really oily it doesn't matter too much. Some people don't recommend these but if you try it once and like it then it isn't a problem. I had some great ones that I bought in Japan, but they were by Biore, and you can get nose strips by Biore over here.

Finally, before I put on make-up, I use Nivea Visage Daily Essentials Tinted Moisturising Day Cream. If you are 21, or generally young, YOU DO NOT NEED TO WEAR FOUNDATION EVERY DAY. I only wear full foundation for photoshoots and nights out, (or if I run out of this stuff.) There is no need, at a young age, to use a really heavy foundation. If you have bad skin, give it time to heal. It can be embarassing and you may want to cover it up, but in the long run it really doesn't help if you lather more chemicals on it. Tinted moisturiser provides all the coverage you need as well as moisture throughout the day. The only thing you may need then is one brush of a translucent powder so your face isn't shiny, that's all.

So that's it! Your skin will be lovely if you wash it properly and moisturise, and you don't need really expensive products to take care of your skin. Not all products work for all people, this is just what works for me, so make sure you try out things before you start using them full time.

Hope this helps, and if you want to share how you care for your skin, please do!

Apple x

 I'm trying to move away from products that test on animals, and also Beiersdorf Inc say they do not, it is unclear whether or not the ingrediants they use test on animals, so please bear that in mind for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment